Thursday, March 31, 2011

Big-block Malibu



I've got a thing for estate cars with obscene power. It probably stems from watching Rickard Rydell pounding Brands Hatch in a BTCC 850 T5-R when I was a nipper. I just think muscle wagons are cool, and the likes of the Audi RS6 Avant and BMW M5 Touring put a big silly grin on my face.

...but even cooler than factory muscle is the growing cult of the back-street drag wagon. Take this Chevrolet Malibu, for example. It's got a 489ci big-block kicking out 650bhp. The rear tyres are cartoon-wide. It accelerates in a manner that could tear your reproductive organs clean off. Yet it's finished in unassuming refrigerator white, for when you need to take your hedge-clippings to the dump on Sunday. It's gloriously absurd, yet actually pretty sensible; I mean, it's cheaper than a 911 and you can get a wardrobe in the back. Brilliant.

Want more? See the good folks of Car Craft...







No comments:

Post a Comment